Update on the noise/antenna issues

Well as most of you know by now I have switched home HF antennas to an Inverted “L” style of antenna from the infamous folded vertical that I used to operate with.

The change of antennas was brought on by an attempt to improve my signal going out and hopefully improve my receive by lowering my noise floor.

After about a month of messing around I am partially successful.  The signals out have been fantastic and some people have even used the term “armchair copy” to describe my signal.  So far I have been able to make contacts and break pileups on 20, 40 and 80m.  Although the antenna loads up fine using my LDG Z100 auto tuner on all bands 10m to 160m I have yet to make any contacts on 10,12,15,17 and 160m.

On the receive side I have been able to slightly lower my noise floor down to around a S7 to S9 on 80m compared to the +20 plus that I was getting in the past.  The noise level drops greatly the further away from the 80m band I get…  The 80m noise level seems to drop more later in the evenings which makes its easy for late night ragchews but rough for early evening nets…

On that topic I do have a problem hearing the Net Control Stations for the Ontario Phone Net as most of them are in southern Ontario and as I’m in eastern Ontario some nights it becomes rough copy…  To help myself hear whats going on I have been operating  by multi moding….  I transmit on the assigned frequency but in fact am operating split by using a remote reciever that I can access via the internet using ECHOLINK.

I am using the facilities of VE3MAZ-L in Niagara Falls Ontario for receive and the system works great.  Only drawback is that I can hear myself talk (full duplex like when you work sats) and that takes time to get used to.  Good sides are that I can hear all the net along with my own signal so I know how everyone else should be hearing me as well.  Thanks Ken for offering such a wonderful service to the amateur community.  As long as my internet connection is stable I can hear whats going on…

I am still working on the noise issue but so far I seem to be stuck at the S7 to S9 level for 80m.  I have added chokes, ferrite beads and extra grounds and extra radials and to be honest I think thats about as good as it gets.  My last hope is that I have been informed that HYDRO Ottawa will be in later this summer to replace/upgrade some underground wiring and I’m hoping that the work they do will help out with my noise…

Enjoy your weekend and more later

73bob

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 913 other followers

%d bloggers like this: