Still making contacts

I started back on October 3 with the new stealth antenna.  Its a twisted Zig Zagged almost vertical wire about 50 feet in length with 3 random length radial.  Its fed by a 4:1 balun and I use a buddipole 40m coil at the bottom of the wire (after the balun) so its kind of base loaded.  By pass the coil and I can operate on 10-12-15-17-20-30 and 40m.  Using the coil I can get 60 and 80m.

The SWR on all band is low enough (under 3:1) that I can get the internal tuner in the FT 450 to bring everything down to a decent match (1:1)

All this is stealth mounted in a large pine tree just on the other side of my fence line.  The balun and the radials are on my side of the fence and the wire runs up into the tree.  Stealth being the key words as there are some antenna restrictions I would rather not debate with the Condo Board.

So how does it work???? Well its better than not being on the air…  So far this month I have made 206 contacts.  A few were voice and most were FT8 with a couple of CW thrown in for good measure.

Contacts were made in North America, South America and Europe.

Now before October the last time I played radio was in the spring of 2018 so I don’t really know if this is good or bad for band conditions.  Either way….  It does not matter…  I got to spend some quality time in the shack and realized how much i missed it.  Right now I just try to spend a couple of hours in the shack each day and also try to upload my logs to LoTW and QRZ.com on a regular basis.

I need 5 more states for the WAS-FT8 and after those 206 contacts I still need those hard to find 5.  As far as the DXCC Digital go one of those 206 brought me up from 48 to 49 so I still have 51 to go …  It will take a while.

But as the camper is off the road for the season… (if you read my earlier post) I do have time on my hands now so why not.

In the mean time…. I am proving that you can make contacts in Amateur Radio with less than fantastic antennas if you want to take the time to work at it…

Hope to hear you on the air

73bob

Advertisements

#hamradio Antenna mods worked

Even though I had changed locations (Ottawa to Kingston) some things never change and I found myself in a location with a bigger yard but stronger antenna restrictions. (Before you say anything about a ham knowing better…. )

My wife and I moved in  with our eldest daughter and our situation suits both parties…

However with the assistance of a large pine tree and some shrubs to hide wire….  I am back on the air from FN14 with better results and less equipment than I had before

The new antenna is an approximate 45 foot wire in a mostly vertical configuration with 2 25 foot radial and 1 approx 40 foot radial.  The radials are along the fence line and under our deck in the back yard.   

This with the assistance of a 4:1 balun (using the internal tuner on my FT450 gave me great (great means it loaded up) results on 6-10-12-15-17-20 and 40m .  Hovever nothing on 80m or 160m.

Tonight I had a crazy idea and the part in stock.  I added a Buddipole 40m coil into the antenna close to the balun.  Taking the tap out I now have 80m using the internal tuner.  With the tap in at its shortest position I kept 6m to 20m… found 30m and kept 40m.  No luck on 60m with either setup but as I never used it before no big deal but I will check on what I might need to do to get something there that fits in my yard.

Not pretty, definately not technical… but it works…

At times there are people telling you it wont’t work…. (Ya can’t argue with the laws of electronics)….

Fortunately I never studied law…..   🙂

Sometimes its better to be lucky than smart….

73bob

 

ps…. for those RV’ers out there…. some amateur radio info for you and some solar plans for you rig will be coming soon.

Safe travels as well