This post is geared more to the RV’ers than the Amateurs Radio ops
With the current price of fuel (was $1.23 a Litre when I was driving home last night) we have decided to hold off our purchase of a new (to us) rig. There is no point making payments on a rig we can’t afford to move….
This summer is still going to be a camping year with lots of time spent in our existing trailer but less time (and miles) in the truck getting there.
Living in Kingston (on the St. Lawrence River at the end of Lake Ontario) gives us many wonderful areas to camp in. Between the St. Lawrence Parks Commission and the Ontario Parks we have many public parks within a 2 hour drive of home.
We also plan (after checking the Crown Land Map) want to try some boondocking later in the season. For more basic info on the topic try a Google search of Crown Land in <Province>
For my non camping followers “Boondocking” is a term that we use when we are camping out in the boonies on public land that is free to use. There are no services but also no (or next to no) costs for the stay. This is sometime refered to as dry camping
For my non-Canadian followers Crown Land is roughly the same as BLM Land in the States. Depending on the designation of the land we have the option of staying for free on certain plots of land. This is on a first come first served with no reservations (space and access could be limited) and I believe (memory fail) that its either a 2 week or 4 week maximum stay.
Not an issue as with our trailer we would have to move to a location where we could dump our grey and black tanks and refill the fresh tank about every 7 days so… It is something in the back of our minds for now.
Now back to the present. At the end of April Erika (daughter) and myself will be taking the trailer out of storage and towing to a location where we will be giving it the once over, correcting anything that is not in order after the winter and giving it a good cleaning. This will be done in anticipation of the shake down cruse for the new season planned for the end of May and the first couple weeks of June.
After that who knows??? At this time we have plans for most of September between the Amateur Radio camping trip for Chillycon in mid September followed by a potential season ending trip at the end of September … but depending on the weather we might try to make it to Riverside Cedars campground just east of Morrisburg Ontario for the Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend in mid October. Liz and I did that two years ago and really enjoyed it but we were glad our site had electricity as we did need the electric heater overnight.
Right now most of this is thinking out loud but the new (to us) rig will not be happening till we can figure out what the “static costs” will be along with the “camping costs” At this time our “Static costs” are storage 75.00 and insurance 25.00 so in reality the trailer costs me a minimum of $100.00 per month if it turns a wheel or not.
Now with a new rig (especially if its financed) you have the monthly payment, your insurance costs will be higher and you will still need to store it when not is use. These factors could easily raise the static costs to over $500.00 per month without even turning a wheel. I don’t want to own a camper that I can’t afford to travel in so… Lets see what the price of fuel will be doing (my guess is rising) before we tie up major funds in a new rig.
Much more on this topic later but till then…