As a few of you know back in 2006 for a few months I sponsored the ECHOLINK Node VA3QV-L which was operating on the VE3TWO (Ottawa Valley Mobile Radio Club) Repeater Frequency of 147.300 (+). The idea of the node was to see how many people would use it to link back into our Club Repeater and say HI to us while they were out of town.
It was a fairly simple setup consisting of a Rigblaster Nomic interface, a Yaesu FT2400 2m mobile radio along with a simple JPOLE antenna (10 foot mast) and a power supply strong enough to run the radio at the 5w setting. The computer was an old desktop that was strong enought to run whatever version of windows that it had on it along with the ECHOLINK Software…
Its main purpose was to see if there was the interest in such a service and if there was then the Club would set things up and run it themselves.
I ran the Node for about 4 months and then the Club took over the project which let me use the same equipment without the ECHOLINK Software as an APRS station once I had configured the AGWPE and UI View to work with the Rigblaster interface and the desktop. This carried on for years until I replaced the Desktop with the Dell Laptop I am still using as the shack computer now…
As you know the Dell although its getting tired has been operating on APRS as VA3QV for a few years now and doing great… With the arrival of my new Android Smart Phone (as it has an ECHOLINK APP) I decided to get my old ECHOLINK Node of VA3QV-L back up and running just incase the need ever came up that I would want to link into my node from my Droid or from my Netbook using my Internet Stick.
Right now the link radio is set up on 146.550 while I do the testing but its not on unless I am sitting there watching it while I am trying to get the configuration correct.
So far I am pleased by my attempts. I have been able to get the software to key up the radio and even more importantly able to off key the radio. From the Droid to the computer to a vhf handie being used as a monitor the audio levels seem to be fairly good. From the vhf handie to the computer to the droid the audio levels seem to be be a bit high and so far I have not been able to get them set correctly yet. Lowering the audio levels at the sound card and also lowering the volume on the radio has not seemed to fix it yet. Its only a matter of time till everything gets set up right
I wish I could remember how I did this 7 years ago… Perhaps it will come to me…
More on how this works out…